Friday, April 25, 2008

Hey! I get requests! (and it's not to leave)

Last night, I was at my favorite place to sing my songs, the Lazy Dog Cafe (or Coffeehouse) in Minersville, PA. I don't get to the open mic weekly, but i try to get there twice a month. Having just recovered from surgery, I was anxious to get back out singing, especially thankful for still having a voice, which was a risk of the surgery. I chose 3-4 songs to sing and was greeted again with the request to do "I Love My Truck"....OK, that wasn't on my list. I have a love hate relationship with that song. it's a corny song, it was a fun write, it's simple, it has that surprise factor in it and it has some sexual undertones... everywhere.

Reminds me of a story I heard on the radio about the Steve Miller Band (or someone like that). The hold a concert, have all this great new music and the crowd is yelling for all the old music that made them great.

I did my first two chosen songs and slipped into "I Love My Truck". Never announce the title to this... it gives away the line. Anyways, I sang it and enjoyed it immensely. In a venue that most of the singers sing cover songs, I've attained a place where someone or a few ask for one of my songs, something not on the radio. How cool is that? So, perhaps I'm doomed (said playfully) with that as a song that will follow me when I play. But the doom is a sweet welcome for this guy who used to be afraid to share his songs with anyone.

I followed one of my musician rules: Give the audience what they want whenever possible and play it the best you can.

In my little world of songwriting and performing, I had my smile. Just to be sure she understood, I thanked her later and said she can request it anytime.

Thanks for reading ;)
Dave


www.myspace.com/davidderbes
www.soundclick.com/davidderbes




No comments: