Thursday, February 14, 2008

Coming off a dry spell

I’m coming off of a dry spell with my songwriting. The last song I finished was a guitar/vocal piece titled My Job. I performed it a few times at The Lazy Dog Coffeehouse and it was greeted well. For approximately two weeks, I had no new ideas, the old ideas seemed boring and I played a few musical ideas on the piano. (some of the piano ideas are cool but the one is going on a year without lyrics. All I have for that one is “people come, people go….they close their eyes and they don’t really know where they want to go…. how could they know?….how could they know? Ok, where do you go with something like that? This is why it is a no where song.

Last week I had at least four to five new ideas and hooks come to mind. It was a great feeling because I couldn’t find the switch earlier. I jotted down the ideas with hopes that something would click further. This week brought two or three new ideas and one jumped for me.

This new one is a guitar/vocal. I’ll call it ‘love and money’ for now. The creation came as a line to a verse. I found something else for a chorus. I found my hook. The little challenge I found was that I thought the melody in my head was the same for the verse and the chorus. (I don’t always write with an instrument around.) I have a pretty good idea how I want the chorus to sound musically. I have a strong chord progression for it. Verses are much looser but I have a decent concept in my head.

Lyrically, this new song, has direction but the storyline had some different paths available. Today I realized that my first written verse is probably a good second verse. I hear that happens often. This might be the first or second time I’m experiencing this type of a change. I also am leaning on taking the last half of the original first verse and making it a bridge.

So, here’s where I’m at with ‘love and money’. I need a second half of the second verse. It will come and I’m not forcing it. I rarely force a song lyric. it might take me a few days actually because I like to let lyrics settle before I do much more. My draft is probably like many songwriters third or fourth draft.

The dry spell came and went. The song I’m working on is the last, fresh thought. Let’s see where it goes.

Dave

www.myspace.com/davidderbes

www.soundclick.com/davidderbes

daderbes@yahoo.com

No comments: