Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crowd Pleasing...and what do I know?

This year I was reminded by two separate audiences that “simpler” music is appreciated and applauded. The first occurrence was while playing percussion in a slightly unusual (in its programming) symphony concert when a last minute pick-up polka group received a measurably greater audience response compared with the symphony’s performance of The Hungarian Rhapsody. I shook my head in disbelief. Not frustration or anger, just shocked to find this unrehearsed, simple music to have the crowd roar with approval.

The second time happened only a few weeks ago at an open mic event at The Lazy Dog Coffeehouse, Minersville, PA. There were about 40-50 people there at the time. Approaching my third or fourth performance there, I asked my wife and teen daughters if I should play “I Love My Truck”. Of my 30 plus songs, this is probably the one song my family knows by name. It is a corny and hokey song and those few who have heard it, enjoy it. Also, this song had been highly criticized by a few fellow songwriters in the songwriting forums. It was called, trite, lame, too direct, and too simple. Yet, some folks really like it. I’m happy to report that my audience loved it. They sang, clapped and hollered here and there. Of about 12 songs I’ve played at the open mics, this song received the greatest applause and comments. The other songs received a positive audience reaction, but not like this song. Oh, sweet sounds to my ears when the audience responds like this to a song. Oh, how sweet it is when it is the first time they hear a new song and it is not from some well known artist or songwriter. Read on for more of why they could have responded as such.

I debated playing “I Love My Truck” in front of an audience for about a week. I had a “plan of approach” in the event I did choose to play the songt. This plan gave the audience the heads up that this would be a corny song coming. I told them they’d either love it or hate it. Finally, I also told them to feel free to sing along. I did not give the title of the song and began my singing. I rarely give the audience anything more than a song title. Because I gave them a small amount of lead in, but no title, I figured they’d listen. I did the first verse and could feel them listening and watching. They heard me sing about a woman. Then, bang with the chorus! “I love my truck, made in the red, white and blue. I love my truck, it gets me to seein’ you.” Once the first line was sung, I could hear and see their reaction.

I knew they might respond this way and I wanted to take advantage of it. I planned that if they did, that I would vamp on the A chord after the chorus and invite them to sing with me. I gave them the simple lines and we sang the chorus again. I then took them through verses and choruses. Sold. Mission accomplished.

What did I learn again? The audience likes to have fun and listen to fun songs. The music need not be complex, fast or flashy. I politely tricked them and they loved it. “I Love My Truck” is one of the simplest songs I’ve written. It’s a three-chord country song. It is a clever song, even if it is corny. I reflect on the comments made by some, few songwriters and now laugh. For two years, I questioned the use of that song. Now? I reflect that I am an audience inspired and driven artist/songwriter. I want my audience to be there, feel the experience and join in. I want to keep things interesting, musically and lyrically. I shall work for the balance of all things.

When I left the open mic that night, I was told I’d have to do play the song again. When I came back the next week to the open mic, the management and those returning audience folks wanted to know if I was doing the song again. As a simple, unknown songwriter from nowhere, I can handle that. Smiles. Did they like it again? Yeps.

Here is the piano version of "I Love My Truck" The guitar version hasn't been recorded.

www.myspace.com/davidderbes

www.soundclick.com/davidderbes

daderbes@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.