Friday, February 29, 2008

Why I don't have good demo recordings

Almost two and a half years have passed since I began my semi-serious songwriting efforts. To date, I have over 35 songs written, none of which are recorded in a studio or even on a home computer. On the positive side, I did complete over 35 songs, which is a major feat for me, and each one is recorded in it's basic and simplest form.

My reasons for not having done any demo recordings include the cost of undertaking a project, not having the instruments (both of these are financial issues), my ongoing struggle as to what to record and the fact that any dollars spent towards this are probably unrecoupable (probably). If I had a few thousand or even a hundred dollars laying about, trust me, I would have a nice little home studio and a decent keyboard and software. It is a little frustrating.

While I may not have great sounding demos, I am fortunate enough to have the skill to play and sing my songs on either guitar or piano. My equipment consists of a small stereo cassette boom box that probably cost $20.00. It works….. kinda. Balance and gain are controlled by moving the recorder around the sound sources.

I hope that during 2008 I will be able to have a few simple demos completed and prepared to send to some publishers. Since I have probably 25 songs that I think are radio/artist capable, I'll just have to decide which songs are my best. Time will tell!

Dave

www.myspace.com/davidderbes

www.soundclick.com/davidderbes

www.davidderbes.blogspot.com

No comments: