Sunday, February 10, 2008

Open Mic at the Lazy Dog Coffeehouse

I never make New Year's resolutions. This year, I wanted to take my songwriting efforts live, to an open mic or other, similar event. Hey, I did it in January!!! Now I can coast through the year. Smiles.

The Lazy Dog Coffeehouse, Minersville, PA opened for business during 2007 (http://www.lazydogcoffeehouse.com/). I heard good things about this small place. It was amazing how they changed the outside of the building. The inside is even more dramatic. Not only did they offer live music during the weekend, but they began an open mic/karoke on Thursday's. In early January, I made a visit to my first open mic and told myself "I can do this." I spoke to the event leader, David, and planned to stop by the next Thursday.

My first night at the Lazy Dog Coffeehouse went pretty well. I played three songs and was incredibly nervous. I found it amazing that I was as I have played publicly for decades. I can only believe that my nervousness is because I was playing solo guitar and singing original music. The crowd was welcoming and applauding. The crowd is always like that. They're great and plentiful. There isn't much original music being done on Thursday's, often I am the only songwriter there. It makes for an interesting mix of karoke and original music.

I'm thankful I have this new opportunity nearby. All the staff and owners of the Lazy Dog Coffeehouse are wonderful and encouraging. They love music and are dedicated to ensuring there is an outlet for the music and arts. The open mic/karoke is hot right now and is drawing a variety of patrons and entertainers. I'm pleased to be a small part of it. I'm loving it. If you're in the Pottsville/Minersville area, check it out. Send me an email or message to ask if I plan on playing that week.


www.myspace.com/davidderbes

www.soundclick.com/davidderbes

daderbes@yahoo.com

No comments: